Saturday, September 05, 2009

Night Hikes, Notre Dame, and Newness

Today I was asked by one of my students how I felt about change and where I ranked on the risk-taker scale. I sat there right after cooking a brunch for 30 people (yes, I'm learning to cook for 30 people...very quickly learning...and also being humbled) and realized how much I like my job. Part of the reason I am enjoying it so much is that these students are challenging me. I am amazed at the ways these students are engaging in a new situation, a new culture, a new bedroom, new friends, new classes. Newness surrounds them.

And, I realize that newness surrounds me as well. But, their response to a new life is challenging the way I approach this new phase of life for me. I haven't reflected as much as I'd like, but I am realizing that each day I am being challenged in my leadership and in my character. I am being forced to be about others above myself. I am learning to juggle many responsibilities and realize that I will disappoint people. I have made mistakes. I have been humbled by the lack of "productivity" my life might produce.

So many exciting things have happened that I'll only share a couple. I got to go on a night hike last night from Greystones to Brey. This trail follows the coastline of the Irish Sea where you are on the edge of a cliff most of the way. On a night with a full moon it was a breathtaking sight and a great chance to have a blast with 6 students. We sprinted to catch the last train back home and we made a chipper run and we ate the chips along the sea. I just kept saying, "Guys, where are we right now?"

Then, one of the students spent much of the day today helping me get the Notre Dame game online television. I got to watch the whole game and I was quite excited. That was my first chance to watch the Fighting Irish in Ireland.

So, as I reflect on the change and risk question I was asked earlier today, I realize that I am blessed to be able to experience the kind of risk and change this job has afforded. It hasn't felt like that much of a risk because I have felt an extreme sense of peace about where I am at right now. And, I have tried my best to embrace the change of life that is inevitable these days.

2 comments:

Adam Cramer said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, bro! And I'm curious...what's the website where you can watch ND games?! I'm going through ND withdrawal!

annie.marie.dimond. said...

Say hello to Ben Nelson and Amber Wilson for me!!

Glad all is well.