Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wealth in Smallness.

Sitting across from William yesterday at dinner time was an incredible chance to hear from a seasoned Irish man who has read a lot, thought a lot, and had more wisdom than I could ever hope to attain. Yet, I passed him for the first 4 weeks with mere “hellos” and “how are yas?” One of my students reminded me of the cool and crazy reality that every single person we pass in a given day has an incredibly detailed story – perhaps just waiting to be told. I got to hear a few more pieces of William’s story and I, once again, realized my enjoyment of hearing stories.

William shared a quote he had heard recently that struck me and I wrote it down. We were talking about wealth and the way people in Ireland and the US approach money and prestige. The Frenchman Francoise de La Rochefoucauld said:

“Wealth can be measured by the greatness of what we have or the smallness of what we want.”

William is obviously further down this road of wanting less and I yearn to get to a place where I am truly wealthy because I desire very little that this world has to offer.

As I begin my second month in Ireland, my desire is to be marked by a consistent contentment and satisfaction in the here and now because I know the source of my hope and joy.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Kyle - thanks for sharing! I'm blogging again... However, I'm keeping it more simple this time. Just updates about what's happening ashleywritingagain.blogspot.com

So happy that you're in something you're really gifted for!

Amanda Seibert said...

stumbled on your blog from a link on kate (yoder)'s-- thanks for sharing these thoughts! i'm writing down that quote too... how often we need to be reminded of the "wealth" that comes from being content!
hope you're enjoying ireland!

css said...

So good to know the SOURCE of joy and hope.

Thanks, Kyle!

Cindi Lantz said...

Hi, Kyle!
I am taking some time to enjoy the wealth I have in my son today. I decided to catch up on your blog. I hope I get to meet William.
I love you!
See you in 6 days.
Love,
Mom

BT said...

Baller.

Anonymous said...

William sounds like a great man! Thanks for sharing the story. It makes me grateful for the lasting joy we gain from a life in Christ. Seriously, thanks for the reminder =)