Wednesday, August 26, 2009

In Ireland.

Friends. Family. Loved ones. Strangers. I am currently a stranger in a foreign land, and while I share a common language with the fine people of this country, I am reminded daily that I’m “not in Kansas anymore.”

There are a myriad of little things to figure out each day. Whether it’s mobile phones, banking, greetings, meal plans, students’ names, locals’ names, etc., my brain is being worked overtime. At the same time, I love the adventure of figuring these things out and being forced to be a learner in everything that I do.

It has been a delight to get to know people. I would say Irish people, but I’ve met people from the UK and South Africa as well. One can never assume where a new acquaintance might be from originally. And, while this heritage doesn’t seem all that important at first, there are deeply held cultural differences which I am learning daily. The Irish are a grand people and I’m thankful for the chance to learn from them and understand their culture more and more each day.

I’ve been in Ireland for a week now. This is my third tip in 3 months but I’ll be staying this time. The Taylor students arrived on Monday and it’s been an exciting whirlwind of activity ever since. While it is exhausting, I am realizing how great a job it truly is and I’m excited for what is t come. I already feel like I just have this huge family and my heart already aches to think I’ll only spend 3 short months with these people.

All that to say, I plan to keep those who are interested in the loop as my life continues on in this transitional phase.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Thanks for the post Kyle. I love hearing about what you are experiencing there. Your approach to "learning the culture" is a great model for your students.

Anonymous said...

Kyle, you are in Ireland! That's awesome. Thanks for blogging - it's fun to keep up. Ran in to a few Taylor study abroad students last night. I asked a few how and why they chose LCC, and they mentioned your name. I hope you realize how large your sphere of influence is!

Keep it up.