Saturday, September 06, 2008

Here come the Irish...

It's that time again. And, today, I sat on my own couch and watched the Irish trudge their way to an ugly win. Now, I'm not a guy who's gonna sit here and overanalyze the, for the most part, ugliness that we saw today, but I am going to answer the question my roommate (Ben) asked me today.

Kyle, why do you love Notre Dame football so much?

I hate to say that I love Notre Dame football but the sad reality is that I really really like this program. Some of my earliest childhood memories consist of sunny afternoons with my dad, brother, or other buddies on one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. The University of Notre Dame is truly a unique place. Many will say this, but I've felt it and I love it. The SEC may boast the rowdiest fans or the craziest tailgate parties, but nothing compares to the tradition experienced at Notre Dame. I know, they are sort of the Yankees of college football, and I certainly don't care to convince you, or anyone else, to like this team, but they have this reputation for a reason.
Great coaches. Great players. Great movie(s). They graduate players. They paint diagonal lines in the endzone. They wear the same gold pants and helmets every year. No names on the jerseys. Well spoken kids. Many years of all of this. I live an hour from South Bend and I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday.

Granted, sometimes this program represents a lack of priorities for a university. Or they handle a situation immorally. Or its fans are a little overconceited. This, I understand.

But, I still like this team a lot. I just do. You probably won't convince me otherwise.

Enjoy the Fall, whomever you like or don't like.

3 comments:

Dina said...

No one is perfect. I can't stand ND football! hahaha!!!! Hope you are well.

BT said...

Go Leprechauns!

Transition Woman said...

Good for you for just putting it out there. You like something unashamedly; bravo! Some things can't be proved through fact or negotiated through debate. Rather, some things are felt and are a part of our stories.
Hooray.
And, I love fall, LOVE FALL!