Wednesday, September 10, 2008

To Gram: A Tribute

While my Great Grandmother may never read this, I must pay her tribute on this, my blog. My voice to masses. About 2 weeks ago my family trekked over to Grabill, IN, home of the Leo Lions as well as several of my dear family and friends.

Our purpose was clear and simple: Hang out with the coolest 93 year old woman on the planet!

Gram Wisner, or "Gram" as we like to call her, has something special about her that just makes you want to sit down and shoot the breeze. I've found myself wondering where the time went as I sat in her sun porch watching the birds and talking about life for several hours. Gram was born in 1905 (or thereabouts). Despite the passing of many years, Gram has a unique ability to relate to people where they are. She is sincerely interested in what I'm doing. She genuinely cares. Often, she'll just laugh at all the travels we're doing or the new gadgets we use. But, she has the ability to remember and care about you. She wants to know what you've been up to, and she's usually just filling in the gaps of things she has remembered so vividly.
So, here are my 10 favorite things about Gram:
  1. She loves to laugh.
  2. She loves sports.
  3. She's gorgeous.
  4. She dresses to kill.
  5. She loves head rubs (so do I!)
  6. She's got a great, witty sense of humor.
  7. She loves food.
  8. She loves her family.
  9. She's lived well through adversity
  10. She loves God.
You know those people in your life that you might often take for granted. Sometimes, I feel like I do that to Gram. I don't want to. I can't help but think back to my heritage and realize that she's a big part (directly and indirectly) of shaping me to be the person I am.

2 comments:

Mark L. said...

Great post Kyle. I love it!! ...and yes, Grandma Wisner is one awesome person!!

Kory said...

Kyle well said... I love Gram! She is amazing... and we could never say that enough.