Tuesday, July 08, 2008

fasting? really?

I was perusing a magazine today and noticed that it suggested fasting as a solid weight loss mechanism that included several other health benefits. What are the "rules" you ask?
  1. a 36 hour fast, once a week
  2. don't fast unless you're in good shape and eat right already
  3. start off easy
  4. bookend the fast with the right meals
  5. pace yourself (how can i pace something I'm NOT doing)
  6. mitochondria become more efficient (this is sweet)
Other benefits?
  1. you'll enjoy the food you eat even more
  2. you may also protect yourself against heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and stroke
I might be crazy but this article reminded me about something that I have done some thinking about. It was a good reminder to me that Jesus thought it a good idea that we fast. In Matthew 6, Jesus says, "When you fast...don't yadayadayada. But when you fast, do yadayadayada." For some reason, Jesus thought we would just do it, and I have some ideas why it might be of value (purely my ideas):
  1. It reminds us of our reliance on things beyond ourselves.
  2. It helps us to focus and center ourselves on things beyond feeding our desires.
  3. It can open up time to devote in worship of the Creator.
  4. It can serve to provide a healthy view of the thing we are fasting from.
  5. It can add discipline to our lives.
  6. It can maybe even be healthy when done correctly (this is purely a physical gain, is that okay?)
  7. It can be a sacrifice in order to focus more clearly on God's leading.
These may be way wrong. I encourage you to challenge them. These are just thoughts I quickly typed. I'm not telling you that you should go fast today, especially if you know it would be harmful to your body.

But, why don't we talk about it or do it like Jesus talked about it or did it? Has the pendulum swung so far away from this practice that we no longer consider it important? Is it even important?

All I know is that it took a random health magazine to remind me once again that fasting has value. Maybe Jesus wasn't joking around when he talked about it.

3 comments:

jenn said...

i have to say that i was one who didn't really understand the significance of fasting until signing up to fast and pray for the maasai movement a few months ago. it truly opened my eyes. though i am still not sold that it can be healthy physically, the spiritual health and nourishment it brings is incredible. it was during those times when my focus was strong on God and the maasai...when i found myself truly relying on God the entire time, rather than just here and there as can sometimes happen as we feel our lives with distractions.

Marc Buwalda said...

thought provoking post Kyle. The times I have fasted I have found that your "thoughts quickly typed" do seem to ring true in my life. I find myself focused on God more frequently during the day. I am reminded of the reason for my fast as often as hunger pangs strike (all too frequently). These moments turn my thoughts back to God, helping me to connect with Him throughout the day and not just before meals and at night. For me, fasting is a great way to re-connect with the One i so often ignore. And a reminder of what it means to "hunger" and "thirst" for God and His word.

And physical benefits too? All the more reason!

By the way, long time no see. I hope you and your family are doing well. Send my hello's to them all!

Marc Buwalda

KLantz said...

marc,
i was so excited to see you comment on this. i had no idea you ever read this so thank you. i hope you and your family are well and i will pass the hello along to mine.

god bless.