Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Restoration: Do you want it?

I'm sitting here working on a message for high school students about RESTORATION. I realize every time I sit down to think about what and how I'm going to share the Word of God with others that it is such a responsibility as well as an opportunity to dig in deeply to spend time getting to know God.

I love that and I've become to welcome that in my life even though it sometimes takes time to really sit down and get started.

Well, I started this post and the message has since come and gone. It felt like a jumbled mess at the time, but I believe the Holy Spirit used it powerfully in students' lives.

I shared about the reality that we are all screwed up and we all carry hurts, burdens, frustrations, pain, guilt, restlessness, or problems of some sort. We have to admit this...or we might be in denial.

I then shared about the ministry of restoration that Jesus came to show us here on earth. I also shared from Psalms 23 about God as restorer. Bottom line: God wants to restore us. While this may not be fully possible until Christ's return, we can participate in that now. We can allow God to restore us AND we can help to bring restoration to others. I believe this wholeheartedly.

An interesting point that I challenged the students with is the question that Jesus asks the crippled man at the well in John 5:6.

Do you want to get well?

Are you kidding me? This guy's been there 38 years, begging, hurting, lying there. Why wouldn't he want to get well? Jesus must have known something we don't readily admit. Maybe the fact that we learn to live with our pain sometimes. We might even bury it. It can become a crutch. Do we even want it to leave, knowing what that process might actually look like?

I asked them if they even wanted to get well. It is then, I believe, that Jesus can really restore us. Are you examining your life and honestly allowing God to restore areas that you have not acknowledged are hurting you and wearing you down? I am learning more about what it means to honestly evaluate my need for a powerful Savior.

My questions for you: Do you want to be restored? Where do you need restored? Are you letting the Restorer restore you?

This video is of a friend that is being restored, although the process will be long. His honesty and vulnerability are contagious and unbelievable at the same time. It's worth sharing and thinking about in your response to the inevitable pain and suffering you are facing or will soon face.

4 comments:

Kory said...

wow that was powerful... tell your friend thanks for sharing that... and thanks for doing what you are doing too kyle... I love you!

Anonymous said...

wow. thank you so much for sharing that. it's amazing how God used that just now to speak into my life in such a powerful way. your friend's testimony is going reach so many people! that post was awesome kyle!

-ali

Adam Cramer said...

Thanks for speaking truth, Kyle. I've been dealing with some hurts and pain recently, and God used your thoughts and your friend's testimony to speak into my life. Love you, bro.

AC

Anonymous said...

Kyle, thank you so, so much for sharing....this is amazing. It is such an awesome testimony of God's faithfulness....and such an encouragement to me as I continue to fight some battles with the Lord's strength. Thank you for posting and to your friend for his vulnerability!