Thursday, July 17, 2008

seek.

Relentless.
Powerful.
Terrifying.
Holy.
Alive.

These are words that come to mind as I think about the God I observed, experienced, and saw in the 5 days I just experienced. I returned last night from more time with high school students on the shores of Lake Erie near Sandusky, OH. I went as a counselor and I had great opportunities to invest in students, but I gained so much from this time. So, what did we do, you ask?

worship.
We flat out glorified the Almighty God. I don't know that I've ever been a part of more raw, vulnerable, crazy, undignified, sincere praise to our God through singing, prayer, and scripture. These kids allowed Christ to transform their hearts in worship as they surrendered all.

fellowship.
Our worship was also seen in the genuine fellowship with each other. I heard someone say that one of the best ways to get to know God is through getting to know his people. He created us in his image after all. We ate together, laughed together, prayed together (lots of prayer - kind of like the early church seemed to do it), sang together, talked together, etc.

fun.
I had more fun than a person should be allowed. Cedar Point has never seen a group of 170 people have so much uninhibited FUN. we chanted, played loud games, froze (see later post), sang, yelled, danced. Wow. Too much.

broke.
We let the God we often try to hide from BREAK US. We were broken. We were humbled. We admitted the things that we are scared to bring into the light to each other and to God. And when we came out of hiding we didn't even blow up (see this video for context).

sought.
We examined what it meant to seek God. Our inspiration was Jeremiah 29:13:

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

  • What does it really mean to seek God? With all your heart?
  • What would a true seeker of God look like?
  • What would a church seeking after God with all of its heart look like?
I got to watch well over a hundred high school students ask these questions...and commit to seeking. They counted the costs and committed to seeking. This was not your normal camp where high schoolers come together and have an emotional and maybe spiritual high and go home slightly changed.

These kids were changed...and so was I.

So, I'm curious. What do you think a true seeker of Christ, one seeking with all of their heart, would look like? What would be some defining characteristics or words you would use to describe them? I'd love your thoughts.

No comments: