Sunday, June 24, 2007

4:30 am - 3:00 pm

The shift I'm working at a local factory is placing me on a schedule that I never thought I would experience nor choose to live by. The past 3 days I have leaped out of bed at approximately 3:49 am with thoughts centered simply on surving the next 11 hours and 11 minutes of my life. While the work I am doing is completely and utterly miserable and menial, I have found some joys within it. I am a believer that I am in this place for a season ordained by God and I must glorify him and share the light of Christ wherever I find myself. Guess what? From June 21 - July 20 I find myself working 60 hours a week chipping away metal off of heavy steel beams, rubbing the debris away from the cracks and crevices, and painting over it....ALL DAY!

I've met Brice. Brice is a guy who has probably been judged negatively much of his life and people might push him off to the side when looking for the "high achiever". After scraping metal beams for 8 straight hours with Brice I found a lot out about a cool guy. I found a guy who has three children at home. He'll be married for 8 years come July 1, and he is on his 4th day at this job after a 6 month layoff period. Brice works hard...harder than me. Brice doesn't complain and Brice has been very kind to me in teaching me the ropes. Brice is someone I admire and someone I hope to spend more time with.

I've gotten to work the past 20 hours with Nate. We turn the most agonizing job into competitions as we race in our attempt to make the time pass. It does help. I've found a lot out about a kid who was a Freshman in high school when I was a Senior. A kid that has had some tough breaks in life. His older brother has a kid and is on drugs and is in and out of jail. He lives with his mom and is going to college in the Fall.

I've also met Juan and Brian and Larry and Spencer. God has blessed me with a college degree. But, for now, God has blessed me with a group of men to spend the next month with.

Only he can use me to make an impact for his Kingdom. I'm willing to be used. I hope he chooses to use me.

1 comment:

kimberly said...

Kyle,
God is using you by writing the blog, as well. You're a gift! Your blog is a great encouragement to this one who wonders what it's all about on some days. Thanks for the lift!
Kim