Tuesday, December 01, 2009

"Inconvenience." An Epiphony.

Today. Today was a good day. I can say that now. Now that I have thought about it and realized what an idiot I can be.

About a year and a half ago I was taking one of those personality tests, for the 17th time, and I realized something...I realized something in my mind but I'm not sure it transferred into my reality. This test revealed me to be quite task-oriented (as opposed to people-oriented). I had scored this way before and it really bothered me. I know for a fact that I really like people so to be labeled as one who seems to "orient" themselves around the opposite end of the spectrum was frustrating.

I then began to accept the fact that I may in fact like to accomplish tasks. I then burst out of the "personality type box" by beginning to understand that I might just be task-oriented in my interactions with people.

Okay, I do have a point to this narcissistic discussion of my personality.

Today, I felt like I was inconvenienced or interrupted constantly. This frustrated me. I got annoyed. I got cranky because I couldn't do the things that I had set out to do when the day began. By golly, I have a flight to Norway tomorrow and people were getting in the way of all that I had (or thought I had) to do before I left*.

I get up this morning and on my way to my office I run into two of the ladies who work at the YWCA. Phenomenal conversation, but they delayed my arrival to my office.

People were in my office. I couldn't get things started so I went inside and hid in the living room.

Someone found me in the living room and we chatted for a few minutes.

Then someone else found me and we actually worked on a task (not so bad of an inconvenience).

By this time, more people came in and we got to chatting and it was time for lunch.

As I was eating my lunch, the butcher came by. I owed him money and we talked about his holiday to Spain.

I went back out to the office to write a report and my former boss and professor (who probably will read this) was on Skype with Laura. Two hours later, while still on Skype, I took a very welcomed phone call from someone in the States.

Then, I tried to head to my office when the neighbor boys asked me to play with them. By this time, I was catching on....so I wrestled around with them and shot them with rubber bands...and I had a blast.

Right around the time I thought I could squeeze in an hour of work, one of my students returned from England and he needed help sorting through his luggage.

Then, it was time for dinner out with some friends. A long dinner. A great time.

I got back to find that I needed to take another student into Bray because her phone didn't work and she was stranded at midnight with no lift.

And, now, at 1:32 am, rather than do work, I thought I would use this blog to teach myself a lesson.

People were getting in my way?? Whaaaattt?! Who am I? People are more important than tasks**.

And, hopefully, for the rest of my life, people will continue to "get in my way" and maybe, at some point, I will begin to see people as way more than an inconvenience, and more of a blessing.

*For those who "inconvenienced me today, please know that I really do like you. And, at the time, I probably wasn't just tapping my foot wondering why you had to mess up my day. I am just realizing the way I can be.
**I do realize that, at times, tasks are very important.

3 comments:

Adam Cramer said...

Good stuff, bro. I also tend to be more task-oriented than I would sometimes like to be. Thanks for the reminder about what's important. See ya soon, man!

Kate said...

Thanks for the post Kyle. I like you have struggled most of my life with putting tasks before relationships. It's so easy to get caught up in "getting stuff done" and really forget what is the most important. Thanks for the good reminder. :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting place you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.