Monday, July 28, 2008

Cops and Intersections

Rolling through stop signs. One of my weaknesses. I have a $150 ticket to prove it.

Til today. I was flying up to a stop sign that I've driven past for 8 straight years. As I was about to zoom by the annoyingly pointless red octagon, I glanced up from my texting (horrible idea, I know. don't do it!) to see the not yet lit cherries and berries coming at me. I slammed on my brakes only to come to a halting stop, just in time.

Great story huh? I know, but there's a point.

How easy it is to do something I shouldn't be doing...for years...until the wake up call comes.

I honestly didn't even think about driving past that stop sign completely ignoring it. I basically forgot it was there. It became a habit to do something I shouldn't really be doing, and I didn't even realize it.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.
2 Corinthians 13:5

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24.

Those are the verses of which this whole story reminded me.

Am I examining my life? Have I stopped long enough to test myself?

Am I allowing God to search me?

Am I allowing others to speak into my life...hard things?

Am I willing to be humbled and admit that I've been wrong for all these years...even if I had no idea?

4 comments:

wildnis said...

You are using a copyright protected image without permission. This copyright infringement can cost you up to 150,000$.
If you use images without permission you should at least give the photographer photo credit and a link to her/his website.
The stop sign picture is owned by Rolf Hicker Photography: animal, nature and travel stock photography

BT said...

Firstly, "wildnis" needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

Secondly, Kyle stop texting while driving.

Thirdly, good thoughts. You do a good job at relating simple life experiences to underlying spiritual truths. Sounds like something a pastor would do...

Lastly, I'm reading The Shack. You should be proud.

coreymon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
coreymon said...

wow im glad nobody was in the street when you were passing the stop sign God blessed you