Thursday, May 22, 2008

Episco-what.

Episcopalians. Lots of them. And me, a crazy evangelical, sitting amongst them all in the Diocese of Los Angeles. For three days we learned about reconciliation. And I came away changed (I tend to like change although I do not tend to open my arms wide for it).

We learned and were trained in a process of reconciliation. We practiced this process over a much debated topic of the conflict in the Middle East, most specifically between Israel and Palestine. There are 8 principles which we worked through:
  1. Pluralism
  2. Inclusion
  3. Peacemaking
  4. Social Justice
  5. Forgiveness
  6. Healing Collective Wounds
  7. Sovereignty
  8. Atonement
The interesting part of this conference is that the focus was on reconciliation between Abrahamic "cousins" (Jews, Muslims, and Christians). The idea being that because we all share the important value of submission to God, the God of Abraham, we should be able to find peace with one another.

The reality is that this is probably the most complex problem/relationship/scenario/struggle in the history of man. Yet, it was so encouraging to be in a group that simply was not giving up. I had several moments where I just said, "This is not worth it," but our group continued to work through the long process.

What I learned or was reminded:
  • Reconciliation is a long, exhausting process that takes perseverance and extreme commitment through difficult times. No matter what the scenario, it takes work.
  • Listen first. Listen second. Consider talking third. A lesson I have been trying to work hard on recently.
  • Say you're sorry. Ask for forgiveness, Forgive freely. We don't take blame easily. I need to humble myself easily and say sorry more often.
  • I may well be (I would argue I am) part of groups of people that have inflicted on harm on other groups of people. Whether it be the faith group I am part of, the gender, the ethnicity, the race, or another, I have intentionally or unintentionally contributed to someone else's harm (whether legitimate or not). For this, I must be willing to apologize and work toward reconciliation.
  • My takeaway: True reconciliation must be rooted in love which is found purely in Jesus Christ.
Episcopalians taught me a lot this week. For this I am thankful.

5 comments:

andrew j. ulasich said...

i'm jealous you were there. have you read blood brothers yet?? it's a must read!

KLantz said...

i haven't read it yet, but i tried to find it in a bookstore. i'll get a hold of it and read it soon. i'm glad you reminded me.

wish you and marcia could have been there.

annie.marie.dimond. said...

Kyle, So glad you gleaned so much. Sometimes the most difficult and complex things are the most important and rewarding. e.g. reconciliation.

Ashley said...

Kyle, your thoughts are so encouraging and refreshing to me.
Working with ITeams, we've seen that a majority of our teams have some sort of people group reconciliation to work through (from Philipines to Bulgaria), which keeps us from feeling like the reconsiliation we deal with here is the only kind. One of my favorite books is called Occupied Voices, is connected to the subject matter you mentioned.

Thanks again for sharing. Hearing other people strive toward this gives us the strength to do the same!

And yeah, pretty big fan of the episco's

Marcia M. Ghali said...

Kyle!

So glad to here your thoughts on this. I'm laying plans for a trip to Indiana for the faith and politics conference at Gethsemane. So, hopefully I'll see you soon and we can talk about everything.

Yes, yes you have to read Blood Brothers. And also The Beloved Community by Charles Marsh.

Marcia