Monday, June 09, 2008

Chicago...Lessons Learned.

I just can't stop thinking about Chicago. Our simple Spring Break trip a few weeks ago has ballooned into more than I ever could have imagined.

And, I'm so proud of our students. I've seen them take what they experienced in a short week's time and run with it. Some went back for a unique immersion experience with Emmaus Ministries. Others put together a presentation on what we learned for other Taylor students. Many slept outside during Social Justice Week at Taylor as an act of solidarity. A group of students began going through a curriculum on poverty and God's heart for the poor and oppressed. Still others went and prepared a meal for some homeless people in our community and then sat down and ate with them. The list could go on...

In order to help me continue to process and remember what we learned, I've decided to write about lessons we learned while in Chicago with Sunshine Gospel Ministries. Most of this comes straight from the teachings of Joel Hamernick. Much of the lessons apply to life wherever we are and I am excited to share those on this blog. This new blog series will be called "Chicago".

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Well maybe I'm bias, but I'm pretty excited about the Chicago series!

And again, youre welcome for a visit anytime if you happen to be in Chicago and need a place to stay. Noel and I are excited for our guest bedgroom to get some use!

Sunshine Gospel Ministries said...

Kyle,

I'm so pleased to hear that you and the team profoundly enjoyed your time at Sunshine. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last few minutes in catching up on this blog.

I would like to have a conversation with you, if possible, about using some of this material. My e-mail address is lauren@sunshinegospel.org. Perhaps you could send me a quick e-mail and we could begin conversation from there.

Lauren Dillon