Saturday, June 26, 2010

Life just happens...


It was raining this morning when I woke up. I sat and talked to my mom about the recent, sudden death of my grandma, her mom, just 3 weeks ago. I hopped in the shower before taking my new suit that I needed for a wedding to a nearby seamstress's home in Syracuse. I carried the suit in, we became acquainted, and I put the suit on only to find that my un-hemmed pants were literally 4 inches too short...not a big deal, but it got me thinking on the way home.

Sometimes life just happens. We can plan, prepare, and perspire all you want, but so often we're left asking, "Really? Did that just happen?" You can think you're on some ordinary errand to get your pants hemmed only to find out you're going to have to spend the next week chasing down a properly manufactured pair of trousers ("pants" are undergarments in Ireland). A simple, unobtrusive example of how life seems to alter its course when we least expect it...

The death of my Grandma has had me thinking often about how I live each day. She was on her way to a graduation open house, simply seeking to encourage and love a graduating senior girl and her family, when she was struck by a car. She was gone in a moment. We weren't "prepared" for this. Grandma wasn't prepared for this...or was she? Can we be prepared for the unexpected that life brings?

I believe Grandma was, because, more than about any person I've ever known, Grandma lived each day as though it were her last. I believe I've heard a quote something like: "Never save for tomorrow something you can/should do today." That's how Grandma Theda lived. And, because of Grandma's obvious and surrendered faith in Jesus Christ's ability to save and redeem, she was living with hope, purpose, and a fueled determination.

So, while Grandma had no idea what was going to happen to her on June 5 (none of us could have), she was, in the most important ways, prepared. And, for those of us left to mourn and grieve, we must seek to live life "prepared" for the things that no can really prepare for because, sometimes, life just happens.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

hey my friend-
I've been praying for you and your sweet fam since the second I got the news... Grandma Theda was one of my favorite people in your family and even I miss her... she was AWESOME. Praying for y'all still and love your thoughts that surround this moment... seize each day and use every moment as an opportunity to share about the hope that we have... pretty hot right now :)

miss you and prayin for you!
ASH

Abbey said...

It's funny how we think we can plan our lives out . . . it seems like every time I do that, God laughs and says, "Okay, now let's try it my way." For some reason, his way always seems to turn out better. Thanks for this bit of inspiration--I enjoyed looking through your blog.

Anonymous said...

Kyle,
I am just now reading your entry from June 26....a little behind. Well put, my beloved son. Grandma didn't put off what she could still do today. A wonderful reminder to me again today. I so miss her and am thankful for what she left behind for us.
Love,
Mom