Saturday, November 08, 2008

The College Series

I've been sitting on my haunches trying to determine if I wanted to write anything on here related to what I've been thinking. Truth is, my mind has been on overdrive the past month or so. The problem is that I've had little time to parse through the meanderings of my brain which, unfortunately, can leave me numb at times.

So, for now, I decided to start a series about all the colleges and universities that I've visited (or want to visit). I am in the latter half of a masters program in higher education and student development at Taylor University. As I've done some recruiting for our program, I've realized how few people realize what this type of degree prepares one for. Well, my pad answer for why I do it is: "I just wanted the opportunity to invest in the lives of young people who are at a key crossroads in life."

The truth is that I just like college campuses. I just never want to leave them. (Slight exageration). But, they are unique places. They are alive with energy, promise, hope, and spirit. That's the positive side. They are also alive with lots of problems. Who ever thought of the experiment that would throw thousands of 18-22 year olds into a medium sized city, with minimal rules, and less rule enforcement to fend for themselves. If you think about it long enough, it's crazy!

But, it's also the reality. It's my desire to step alongside students who are asking questions of meaning, identity, purpose, future, justice, forgiveness, hope, reconciliation, truth, etc.

This series, however, will simply highlight certain institutions and some things I've discovered while I've been there.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

You're college series clearly cannot be complete without Malone University :) I wrote you a long email the other day but it somehow got deleted just before i hit send. I was pissed and haven't tried to retype it. Let's catch up soon

Dina said...

Good to hang out with you last night. Keep praying for Mike...he needs Jesus right now. Shoot me an email sometime and let me know how you are dcoverstone@gmail.com

~Dina

Anonymous said...

keep in mind that the whole realm and idea of college is shifting away from the 18-22 demographic. as i'm sure you know, 41% of all college students are over the age of 25.

KLantz said...

I understand your sentiment about the changing demographics of college students. It's very important. I would say, though, that the things that happen in the "life transition" of 18-22 is unique and moves beyond the "education" we think of quickest. Thanks for pointing this out, although it is not my intention to ignore this important population of college students.