Monday, June 16, 2008

Taylor CRAM 2008

I'm working the front desk of Swallow Robin Hall at Taylor University. We are on day three of CRAM (a 3 1/2 week summer honors program for juniors and seniors in high school). It has been a highly exciting/exhausting time.

Oh, to be a high schooler again. These kids are great. I have seriously grown to love them already (all 36 of them). The energy, questions, pursuits, fears, dreams, hurts, and intellect are all very real in this group and I have enjoyed connecting with them.

We played some icebreaker games on Saturday and I absolutely love those times. I've learned that almost anyone will loosen up if you bring some ridiculous energy to a completely goofy game, even if they hate it. My favorite is boppity, bop, bop, bop (Ask me if you don't know!). When stepping into a new situation in which we don't know many people, it is human nature to be a bit uncomfortable and feel out of place. I often take it as my responsibility to get people interacting. Sometimes this is good and sometimes it can be very obnoxious, I'm sure. I've seen some pretty great "evil stares" from some of these high schoolers already.

I have high hopes for the conversations and times we will have together over the next 3 weeks. These are sharp kids. I talk Thursday about knowing about God versus really knowing God in such a way that it radically changes the way you live. I see these kids being at a place where this might be just right!

If you can, pray for these kids, for a moldable heart and mind. Pray for our staff, for wisdom and honesty and energy to love these kids well.

I'm enjoying the amazing responsibility to love these kids and I hope I can selflessly serve them for 3 more weeks.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, I didn't know you were involved in this! That's great! And I think I remember you bringing that kind of energy to all of our "get to know you" times in Lithuania!:)

Anne Marie Dimond said...

I hope you have some CRAM 2006 caliber stories to share when CRAM 2008 is over.

BT said...

Definitely praying for you. Annie was close, but she really meant she hopes you have some CRAM 2005 and 2007 caliber stories...

Did you watch KG after the finals last night? "Anything is possible!!!"
Priceless. For some reason, I immediately thought of you and wished you were there watching it with me.

Tell Yoder to get over himself.

I knew the kids would love you and that you'd love them. Make the Box proud and keep doing the Lord's work.

Miss you brother.

Anne Marie Dimond said...

ok,compromise? Cram 2005-2007 memories. (though stories about 2006 are legendary)

Bret Burchard said...

Do me a favor, review what you shared about truly knowing God versus just knowing about God and replace the word/idea "know" with love. We'll talk about it later. I want to know what you come up with.

davidkmercier said...

say hi to Swallow for me...