Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Stages in life :: A brief hiatus


Transition. It's sort of been the theme word for the past several weeks of my life. Transitioning from college to life. From undergraduate studies to graduate work. From a kid to...an "adult".

I've been quiet on here because I've been trying to keep up with the craziness that can come with transition. I've started graduate school this Fall at Taylor University. I'm studying for a Master of Arts in Higher Education and I confess it feels very odd to call myself a graduate student. I always thought of people that went to grad school as uppity, elitist academics that I could never relate to. (Wow, I hope people don't see me like that)

So, there's been a lot of thoughts, excitement, confusion, questions, laughs, and READING as I've begun my time here. The most common questions I get:

"What are you doing back here? Didn't you a graduate?"
"What are you getting your Masters in?" (I say Higher Ed.) "Oh, so you want to be a professor!"
(No, I actually don't want to be a professor. I really want to work with college age students though and be a part of discipling them and encouraging them in this transitional time period of life.)

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that life is full of transitions. Some might call it change. We are not created to enjoy change, but I've found myself craving new things (maybe too much sometimes) because I know that I am challenged and stretched through those experiences.

No big thoughts. My brain's fried. But, I would say, Don't shy away from change. Sometimes it's the thing you need most right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you pretty much summed up my life in a nutshell with that posting. :) Good to know I'm not alone...especially on that whole view of being a grad student. What?!?!?!? I'm a grad student...there's no way I'm smart enough to be considered that. But hello world, here we are. :) Hope you're doing well!

Eric Gingerich said...

I have no idea what the picture has to do with this post, but I love it... could you send that to me sometime please... thanks bro