Friday, March 30, 2007

Russia and its Orphans

It's sunny, breezy, and beautiful outside today here in Upland, IN. My family is on its way to Naples, FL (the same destination I have been so spoiled to visit for the past 21 years...until this year). Many of my friends are on their way to New Orleans to continue to help build homes and love the hurting people there. I, on the other hand, am going to Russia of all places.

Sixteen of us from Taylor are getting up at 2:30 am tomorrow to head down to Indianapolis before flying to NYC and then on to Moscow, Russia. Needless to say, I am excited...and a little nervous.


We are working with the Boaz Project in a smaller city a few hours outside of Moscow with the mission of bringing hope to children who have received so little love in their lifetime.

A few facts (loose facts):
  • There are over 1 million children in the orphanage system in Russia. The U.S. has a few hundred thousand (still a lot).
  • 95% of these "orphans" still have a surviving parent (meaning only 5% are true orphans).
  • You have to have no "valid" reason to put your child into the orphanage system.
  • Many of these kids can see the windows of their parent's apartment. They can stand in their yard and see them walking around. They can see their brothers and sisters who were kept instead of them.
  • Abuse runs rampant. Sexual abuse of the worst kind is prevalent in most of these chilren's lives at an early age.
  • If you walk into a room of babies (40-50 with one caretaker), it will be completely silent. Crying is a mechanism used to get what you want/need. These babies soon learn that no one is going to attend them so they basically lose the ability to cry.

Obviously, this world is full of injustice. These children are just one example of millions around the world who face immense pain and hurt each day. I mean, we ALL face some sort of pain and hurt each day. This world is fallen. Yet, how am I supposed to relate to these kids? I have been assigned the older teenage boys. Boys that will want little to do with me at first, probably because they have had no one legitimately care for them their entire life.

I don't know how I am going to relate. But, I know that I am going, willing to love them and spend time with them and somehow give them a glimpse of the hope I live with each day. I may not be able to relate, but I truly believe that Jesus can.

So, I go, knowing that Jesus has equipped me to do what he wants. He'll provide, through me and my team, whatever he wants these children to receive over the coming week.

Please pray.

I am going on from there to Lithuania to visit Lithuania Christian College and my friends there from the Fall of 2005. I am so excited to see them again, and it is truly a dream come true to be able to do this. I am excited for the adventure before me over the next 2 weeks.

Life is an adventure. Life each day with joy. Face the pain of this fallen world, and know that only Jesus can come close to satisfying. Peace.

1 comment:

davidkmercier said...

cool story