Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Backpacking is fun.


This past weekend I went with 7 of my good friends to Southern Indiana to hike about 21 miles of Knobstone Trail. It was a blast, and it was difficult. Who would have thought that you could find tough hiking in Indiana? Well, we found some. It was so great to be out in God's creation for 2 straight days. We laughed a lot, sweat a ton, talked deeply, talked ridiculously, got dirty, and just enjoyed each other. I've done a lot of camping and hiking, but this was my first "true" backpacking experience.

I think everyone needs to camp. Not only is it super fun and amazing to be away from technology and modern day "necessities", but it teaches you to be okay with being dirty and gross. It teaches you how to be resourceful. You have to get creative to have fun, but there are endless ways to have fun. You get to go to bed early and get up early. You get to hear the birds, play with fire, and my favorite...play in the water. I love it, and I think that everyone should experience it. Even if you hate it, you'll be better for it!

No comments: